Friday, February 21, 2014

I Love What I Do


It's probably obvious that a factor in being happy with your job would be enjoying the type of work you do. A lot of people think of work as "drudgery" because they would prefer to be doing something else...  often a creative hobby, like photography, music, art, or writing.

Personally, I've always been more of a left-brained geek, so being in an IT job is right up my alley.  Even when I'm not "working," I love to learn new technologies and "play" on the computer, so having a job that let's me do that all day is wonderful.

But, my creative "hobby" is writing. Luckily, there are a lot of opportunities to incorporate writing into my job so I still get a little bit of a writing fix! (Not to mention writing these blog posts!)

What do you love? What hobbies do you have and can you find ways to bring that to the work place? One of my co-workers who enjoys photography often brings his camera in and shares the photos of team events.  Another who is an awesome cook makes goodies that she shares with the team. Even though these things aren't part of the job requirements, bringing some of your hobbies and skills into the work-place let's people see more than just the "business" side of you.  And, of course, everyone appreciates someone who shares their talents with the team.

But even more important than non-business "hobbies," is discovering what parts of your job excite you. Do you love working with people? How can you do that more? Become aware of the tasks and responsibilities that you enjoy and find out if you can do more.  Maybe you can mentor others or take classes to grow that skill.

Hopefully, you're in a job that involves doing what you love to do.  If so, it's pretty easy to love your job. If not, see if you can discover what you DO love and make use of that skill in your job. It will make you a lot happier in your work!


No comments:

Post a Comment