Monday, January 13, 2014

Fun at Work Improves Teamwork and Collaboration

I'm really enjoying this new "Happiness in the Workplace" project and it seems like different examples of how happiness is beneficial just keep falling in my lap!

I started playing "OfficeVibe" (which I blogged about last time), and had an activity card in my inbox today to "Reshare a company post."  However, since the article I'd like to share was sent internally at my workplace (McKesson), I can't post the link on a public site, but I will include some quotes and give you a summary of an article.

Basically, the article said that by making a conscious effort to include fun in the workplace, employee survey results showed a dramatic improvement in employee satisfaction.

By incorporating silly team-building activities into some work meetings (while also implementing more serious work-related improvements), these innovators seem to have unlocked a key to improving employee satisfaction and business success.

The article went on to talk about how one team experienced dramatic improvements such as a 28% improvement in "How the team functions as an organization" and a 25% improvement in "Customer Focus." The leaders of this team attribute their success to teamwork, collaboration, and giving team members the opportunity to rotate.  One senior director said the team "works hard and plays hard" and that the "crazy activities we do really help foster the spirit of teamwork and camaraderie."

I think this is particularly cool because I work in Agile Software development, which really promotes teamwork and collaboration.  I'm so excited to see the recognition at high levels of how much workplace happiness can be a benefit, both to the business and the employee!

No comments:

Post a Comment